A few days ago I flashed my (then properly operating) AudioMoth with frimware 1.6. I had the batteries in. After flashing, I noticed the red LED on constant, and the green flashing. So, to set the time I ran the Configuration app and noticed that the time said XX. . . 1969. I did "Ctrl-T" and nothing changed.
So, I attempted to flash it again, and I got the dreaded "No AudioMoth found." message/screen.
Now my AM is dead. No lights, no response to apps.
I've tried the paper clip procedure, to no avail; no response.
Any suggested fixes?
You won't see any lights but the Flash App will find the device if it connects correctly in flash mode. Make sure you have restarted the Flash App to be sure that the problem isn't there. Are you sure the cable is a proper USB cable with data lines? Has this cable previously worked to configure an AudioMoth? Can you check it on another AudioMoth? Lots of USB cables are just charging cables with no data lines. Double check that the paperclip is not varnished and it is making a good connection. What operating are you using? If you are using Windows make sure that you have restarted your machine.
The procedure is: 1) Remove batteries. 2) Unplug USB cable.
3) Put switch in USB/OFF.
4) Hold paperclip onto contacts. 5) Without removing the paperclip, and holding it to ensure a good contact, plug in the USB cable. Can you make a video of you doing this so I can see if there are any issues?
If that doesn't work we can explore a driver issue. It is very unlikely it is a hardware issue as it was working fine before. These problems typically turn out to be the cable 90% of the time. And then a Windows driver issue the remaining 10% of the time.
I have now tried the paperclip procedure 15 times with no success! No lights; AM still "not found". What's next? When do we suspect a hardware problem?
It doesn’t matter for entering flash mode but if you put it in USB/OFF the AudioMoth will reconnect properly when the flashing completes.
The key thing is that the AudioMoth is powered up with the the paper clip shorting the terminals. If you remove the batteries, the AudioMoth will power up as soon as the USB cable is plugged in, so you need to be holding the paper clip in place whilst you connect the USB cable. It’s a bit fiddly but will always work in the end.
The red LED on constant, and the green flashing, means that the time has not been set when you switched to CUSTOM and it is listening for the tone from the smartphone app to set the time.
The 1969 time that appeared was due to the unset clock starting at zero (1st Jan 1970 00:00:00) and a local time zone moving that back a few hours.
I think device was working fine so if you keep trying with the paper clip you will eventually be able to get back into flash mode and reflash it. Make sure you remove the batteries, hold the paper clip on and then plug the USB cable in so the device powers up with the paper clip shorting the two terminals. It’s a bit fiddly but will always work in the end. Make sure that you use a USB cable that you know allows normally communication with the AudioMoth.