©2019 Open Acoustic Devices

Apr 26, 2018

Cloth with lid for Audiomoth

2 comments

 

Congratulations for your work for all the team that has developed this project!

I am working on designing a "cloth" for the Audiomoth that could serve to protect it from the inclement weather, preserving all its qualities. I think it's a pity that such an interesting project can be considered as "throwaway" because of its low price

For this I am using a small commercial electric box with lid (171 * 100 * 100 mm), which meets the following requirements,

- IP65 waterproof

- When opening the lid, easy access to the batteries and the control elements

- enough interior space to accommodate more capacity Lipo batteries, if it will be necessary

- External microphone

 

 

To be able to outsource the control elements of the PCB (LEDs, switch, microphone, ...) I would need to redesign the board, increasing its size to accommodate the necessary connectors

What do you think about this ?

May 6, 2018

I am guessing that to start adding in connectors and the wiring to have the leds and switch remote from the board would greatly increase the production cost, so making the units less afordable. So from my user perspective it is not something I would welcome.

Hi David,

I appreciate your opinion, indeed that such changes will increase the cost of the device, but I understand they have to raise to ensure their conservation abroad, and perhaps to improve usability and performance. My goal would be to ensure that a properly protected Audiomoth does not exceed a cost price of $ 100. If I get it, I'll tell you

Best regards,

New Posts
  • Hi all, I thought I would share my case with the community, it is a variation on a theme but it has worked well in the few tests I have done. The case is a Lock & Lock rectangular 180ml container (HPL805): http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/locklock/rec_hpl805.php The inner foam housing is 2 layers of EFP30 Polyethylene closed cell foam sheets 20mm thickness. One is supporting the AudioMoth the other is cut to fit the AudioMoth inside : https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php Then over the hole drilled for the microphone I have used Buzzer Waterproof Acoustic Membranes brought on Alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Buzzer-Customize-Size-Black-Waterproof-Acoustic_60812354593.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.6c233527JZ969G&s=p The box remained watertight under a tap at full strength, focused directly on the acoustic membrane, so I am hoping rain at an angle won't pose too much of an issue. Only thing I am a bit nervous about is the glue holding the membrane, if it will withstand tropical humidity. I will keep everyone updated. Cheers
  • Hello! I am a phd and my focus is to record felid vocalizations in zoo enclosures. I need large number of samples and large number of species, so I was thinking to buy many audiomoth to handle in the exhibits. I just wondering if the quality of registrations can be good also in environments with strong noises such as visitors voices, zoos speaker voices, other animal vocalizations etc. what do you suggest? Any previous experiences? thank you Ros
  • Hello all. For those who are looking for some inspiration: I found a cheap yet practical shock-/waterproof case. Available in three colours (beige, black orange) in the Geek/Wish store. With some minor adaptations it’s ideal for the AudioMoth. The inner lining consists of foam in which the shape of the AudioMoth can be easily cut out. For the fixation of the membrane I was inspired by the Aurita design and used a PVC shoulder washer. After drilling a hole just above the mic I enlarged it until the washer fits tightly. Since the materials (plastic vs PVC) are difficult to glue I used butyl tape to attach the shoulder washer. The membrane, standard cling film (10 micron), is mounted on top of the washer. In order to prevent damage by the sharp edges there there is an O-ring on top. The second O-ring stretches the membrane over the first one and provides extra protection against water ingress. I also provide a silicagel packet to prevent condensation on the membrane and as extra safety in case of the membrane is compromised. It is advised to check the membrane after each battery change because the cling film degrades due to weather conditions. Also the O-rings suffer from UV-degradation after a time so be sure to check their condition as well. The box has two ‘eyelets’, very convenient to attach the box. The box costs 2€ and together with the other stuff you have an excellent enclosure for less than 5€ and 15 minutes crafting.
Before posting, be sure to check the FAQ.