©2019 Open Acoustic Devices

Aug 21, 2018

An alternative case for Audio Moth

3 comments

I thought I might share my case option as others have kindly done.The yellow foam is, Yelofon used in construction to minimize sound transfer between units.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aug 23, 2018

Thanks Julian

Sep 13, 2018

Hi Julian did you use anything to cover the microphone hole?

Sep 27, 2018

Hi Rob,Sorry for the delay.I used a small section of cling film which made little if no impact on the recordings.

Oct 1, 2018

Thanks Julian

New Posts
  • Hi all, I thought I would share my case with the community, it is a variation on a theme but it has worked well in the few tests I have done. The case is a Lock & Lock rectangular 180ml container (HPL805): http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/locklock/rec_hpl805.php The inner foam housing is 2 layers of EFP30 Polyethylene closed cell foam sheets 20mm thickness. One is supporting the AudioMoth the other is cut to fit the AudioMoth inside : https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php Then over the hole drilled for the microphone I have used Buzzer Waterproof Acoustic Membranes brought on Alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Buzzer-Customize-Size-Black-Waterproof-Acoustic_60812354593.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.6c233527JZ969G&s=p The box remained watertight under a tap at full strength, focused directly on the acoustic membrane, so I am hoping rain at an angle won't pose too much of an issue. Only thing I am a bit nervous about is the glue holding the membrane, if it will withstand tropical humidity. I will keep everyone updated. Cheers
  • Hello! I am a phd and my focus is to record felid vocalizations in zoo enclosures. I need large number of samples and large number of species, so I was thinking to buy many audiomoth to handle in the exhibits. I just wondering if the quality of registrations can be good also in environments with strong noises such as visitors voices, zoos speaker voices, other animal vocalizations etc. what do you suggest? Any previous experiences? thank you Ros
  • Hello all. For those who are looking for some inspiration: I found a cheap yet practical shock-/waterproof case. Available in three colours (beige, black orange) in the Geek/Wish store. With some minor adaptations it’s ideal for the AudioMoth. The inner lining consists of foam in which the shape of the AudioMoth can be easily cut out. For the fixation of the membrane I was inspired by the Aurita design and used a PVC shoulder washer. After drilling a hole just above the mic I enlarged it until the washer fits tightly. Since the materials (plastic vs PVC) are difficult to glue I used butyl tape to attach the shoulder washer. The membrane, standard cling film (10 micron), is mounted on top of the washer. In order to prevent damage by the sharp edges there there is an O-ring on top. The second O-ring stretches the membrane over the first one and provides extra protection against water ingress. I also provide a silicagel packet to prevent condensation on the membrane and as extra safety in case of the membrane is compromised. It is advised to check the membrane after each battery change because the cling film degrades due to weather conditions. Also the O-rings suffer from UV-degradation after a time so be sure to check their condition as well. The box has two ‘eyelets’, very convenient to attach the box. The box costs 2€ and together with the other stuff you have an excellent enclosure for less than 5€ and 15 minutes crafting.
Before posting, be sure to check the FAQ.